Gary Petty jailed for nine years after sexually assaulting woman in Little Elllingham
- Credit: Norfolk Police
A 40-year-old man has been handed a nine-year prison sentence after admitting sexually assaulting a woman in a Norfolk village.
Gary Petty, formerly of Little Elllingham, was sentenced today at Norwich Crown Court to nine years in prison with an extended licence period of one year.
Petty had previously pleaded guilty on November 3 2016 to one count of sexual assault and one count of grievous bodily harm.
The offences related to an incident which took place at an address in Little Ellingham, near Attleborough, on October 3 2015.
Officers were called to the address at around 10.20pm following reports a woman had been sexually assaulted.
You may also want to watch:
An investigation was subsequently launched by officers from Norwich CID and Petty was arrested on October 4 – he was charged on October 7.
Detective Sergeant Robin Windsor-Waite of Norfolk Constabulary, said: 'This was a shocking attack on a woman who believed she was in the safety of her own home.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 5 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 6 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
'Petty's actions that evening had a profound impact on the victim not just physically but mentally and emotionally and we would like to commend her for the bravery she has shown throughout this investigation.
'Such a stranger attack is extremely rare in Norfolk but we hope such a sentence will help to reassure victims that we will always investigate any allegations of sexual abuse thoroughly and as a consequence bring offenders to justice.
'We hope the result will also help the victim and her family move on more positively with their lives.'
Petty was also placed on the Sex Offenders' Register for life.