Gary Brown of Reepham develops country’s first nationally recognised award for self defence
- Credit: Archant
Young people across the country now have the chance to work towards a qualification in self defence thanks to the work of a man from Reepham.
Self defence trainer Gary Brown, 34, has worked with the group Sports Leaders UK to develop the UK's first nationally-recognised self defence award.
Mr Brown said he was delighted to be able to offer the qualification, which would give young people the chance to build leadership skills such as communication and organisation through the medium of self-defence.
He said: 'After three to four months of creating the award we are now ready to deliver it to schools, colleges, universities, businesses and the general public across the UK.
'After 28 years of training within the industry I am so pleased to be able to offer people the chance of learning self defence and come out of it with a nationally recognised award for their efforts.
You may also want to watch:
'The future plan is to develop an intermediate and advanced awards - the intermediate is already underway.'
Mr Brown is initially offering the award through his self-defence school, Street Smart Self Defence, in Norwich.
To find out more, visit streetsmartselfdefence.co.uk
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 3 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 6 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 7 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs