Gary Brown of Reepham develops country’s first nationally recognised award for self defence
- Credit: Archant
Young people across the country now have the chance to work towards a qualification in self defence thanks to the work of a man from Reepham.
Self defence trainer Gary Brown, 34, has worked with the group Sports Leaders UK to develop the UK's first nationally-recognised self defence award.
Mr Brown said he was delighted to be able to offer the qualification, which would give young people the chance to build leadership skills such as communication and organisation through the medium of self-defence.
He said: 'After three to four months of creating the award we are now ready to deliver it to schools, colleges, universities, businesses and the general public across the UK.
'After 28 years of training within the industry I am so pleased to be able to offer people the chance of learning self defence and come out of it with a nationally recognised award for their efforts.
'The future plan is to develop an intermediate and advanced awards - the intermediate is already underway.'
Mr Brown is initially offering the award through his self-defence school, Street Smart Self Defence, in Norwich.
To find out more, visit streetsmartselfdefence.co.uk
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 3 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 4 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 5 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 6 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 7 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 8 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 9 Fire crews called to house fire in north Norfolk
- 10 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup