GALLERY: Crews from March, Littleport, Downham Market, Chatteris, Ely, Whittlesey and Ramsey tackle Christchurch scrap yard blaze
- Credit: Archant
Crews from across the county battled for two and a half hours to put out a fire at an industrial scrap yard in Christchurch on Sunday.
Cambs fire was called to the blaze at Roughdale Works in Upwell Road at about 1.50pm.
A fire service spokesman said: 'There was thick black smoke and firefighters discovered this to be a fire in an industrial scrap yard which had spread to numerous units, including the neighbouring premises.
'The first appliance on scene, from Whittlesey, requested more fire engines attend the incident to assist with firefighting and obtaining water.'
Crews from March, Littleport, Downham Market, Chatteris, Ely and Ramsey attended.
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman said crews from Gamlingay and Papworth were mobilised to take the high volume pump and hose layer to the incident but were turned away before reaching the scene as they were no longer required.
'Crews set up a water relay to help extinguish the fire, and wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters put the fire out by 4.21pm using jets, hose reels, hydrants and ground monitors,' said the spokesman.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 3 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 4 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 5 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 6 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 7 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 8 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 Oh deer! Muntjac escorted out of Tesco after sprinting into bakery
Firefighters remained on the scene dampening down and using thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.
The last crew returned to its station at 6.25pm.
The cause of the fire was accidental.