Gabbi Ryan, from Swafield near North Walsham, earns Miss Teen Norfolk title
- Credit: Archant
Energetic 18-year-old Gabbi Ryan has earned herself a place in the final of Miss Teen Great Britain after impressing judges with her imaginative fund-raising and photos.
Gabbi, from Swafield, near North Walsham, was on a delayed train heading for London when she had a call from the contest organisers to tell her that she had been chosen as Miss Teen Norfolk and would be among 30 teenagers in the national final, at The Globe, Blackpool, on August 30 and 31.
The judges made their decision based on a written interview and photos submitted by Gabbi, a student at North Walsham's Paston Sixth-Form College.
In the past Gabbi has back-flipped, hopped around North Walsham on a pogo stick and carried out a hula-hoop marathon to raise money for Sport Relief and Claire House Children's Hospice, in Liverpool, which is the contest's chosen charity.
Since March Gabbi has raised about £1,000 for the hospice which she hopes to visit one day.
You may also want to watch:
As her latest fund-raiser for the cause, Gabbi dressed as a human statue - a white ballerina - and stood motionless on Cromer Pier for five hours, only moving to perform a quick dance when people put money in a collecting bucket. The feat raised £230.
'I was thrilled,' said Gabbi. 'Children especially liked it. I want to go into performance and I'd seen human statues in Covent Garden and wondered what it would be like to do it. We don't have much of that sort of thing round here.'
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 5 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 6 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 7 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 8 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 9 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 10 Gypsy and travellers await planning appeal result
Gabbi, a dancer at Cromer's Marlene's School of Dancing, is in the middle of A-levels at Paston in PE, drama and theatre, and performance.
When they finish, on June 17, she said she was planning to go 'full out' looking for casting and modelling opportunities.
? Do you know a young person whose achievements in any field deserve publicity? Contact email@example.com