Future of popular hospital café in doubt
- Credit: Evening News � 2009
The future of a café outlet at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital is currently uncertain.
Café Pure operates at the NNUH under a concession agreement granted by WHSmith, which is due to expire in April 2018.
Owned by The Chill Bar Company, Café Pure was set up in 2011 to 'introduce a new, fresh, innovative and personal offer'.
The coffee outlet was offered a term of six years and nine months at the hospital, whilst WHSmith has a lease on the space they share until 2032.
The business is currently awaiting a decision on whether a new agreement will be offered.
Director and Owner of The Chill Bar Company, Carl Mann, said: 'Café Pure has been a huge success at the NNUH, not just for the staff and visitors to the hospital, but to WHSmith as well, which benefits from the rent plus the 'share of turnover' it pays.
'Our concession agreement expires next year and as of yet we don't know whether we will be offered a new one. We've been promised an answer by the end of October but it is clearly difficult for the employees in the meantime.'
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 4 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 5 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 6 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 7 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 8 Interactive and immersive dinosaur attraction opening in Norfolk this month
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
He added: 'Rumour has it that WHSmith will take over the operation of the café itself. However such is the loyalty of Café Pure's customers; this strategy might prove to be a mistake. There is already talk of a petition and even a boycott, should such a takeover occur.
'The NHS Trust management has expressed its support for Café Pure, knowing its importance to the NNUH staff but it is powerless to assist.'
Despite uncertainty about the future of the business, the café continues to thrive at both the hospital and at a new location opened on St Georges Street.
Mr Mann said: 'With our future in doubt at the hospital, as negotiations continue with our landlord, we felt our offer would succeed elsewhere.
'Our formula seems to be working well in St Georges Street, since we opened at the end of September, sales have increased daily.'
For more information about Café Pure visit facebook.com/cafepurenorwich