Fundraising cabaret show for Beccles Public Hall
Waveney performers have emphasised how important they think community venues are as they prepare to put on a show to help raise money for one.
Bungay poet Luke Wright and Beccles performer Ian MacKenzie, aka Yanny Mac, described Beccles Public Hall as an important social hub, ahead of a special cabaret show they are set to feature in.
Next Saturday they will be joined by fellow performers from Norfolk and Suffolk to help raise funds for the renovation of the building, which charity Beccles Lido hopes to take over by March.
Organiser and compere Yanny Mac said: 'Beccles Public Hall has been the social hub of our small but vibrant Broads community for almost 300 years and we're determined to give it a long-term future as a venue for a broad range of activities at the heart of local life.'
Joining him in performing will be poet Luke Wright, who is well known for performing on Radio 4 and at the Edinburgh Festival.
Mr Wright said facilities like the public hall, Bungay's Fisher Theatre and Diss's Corn Hall Theatre are all really important for the community.
He said: 'I think the community needs a central place and I think it is really good for Beccles to have somewhere for cultural and art events like this.'
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 3 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 4 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 5 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 6 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 7 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 8 Chef reopens historic Norwich coffee shop with roasts on the menu too
- 9 Norse chief executive quits for personal reasons
- 10 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
Comedy on the evening will be provided by Patrick Lappin, Andy Bennett and Tinamarinas, with music from Lora Stimson, Librarian Girls and Scumbag Philosopher, and further poetry from John Osborne.
Waveney District Council's cabinet is set to meet on Tuesday to discuss a recommendation to negotiate the transfer of the hall, in Smallgate, to the charity which has rejuvenated the town's outdoor swimming pool.
The show takes place at the hall on Saturday, January 28 at 7.30pm, with tickets �8 for waitress-service tables or �6 for balcony seating. To book call 01502 716870 or 01502 719712, or go to Beccles Travel, in New Market.