Fund raising lifeboat men say three cheers to Norfolk brewers
- Credit: Archant
It will come as no surprise to many people that most lifeboat men enjoy a good pint of beer when off duty.
So, as expected, members of the Wells RNLI crew jumped at the chance to select a winning ale to raise money for their appeal to buy a new lifeboat.
The Real Ale Shop at Branthill Farm, near Wells, organised a competition among Norfolk brewers to brew a beer especially for the Shannon Lifeboat Appeal.
Entries came in from The Why Not Brewery in Norwich, Elmtree Beers in Snetterton, Panther Brewery in Reepham and Wagtail Brewery from Old Buckenham.
Teddy Maufe, owner of The Real Ale Shop, said: 'Beer and maritime are synonymous with Norfolk and lifeboat men and ale fit well together, so I saw this as a fun way to raise money for a really great cause.
You may also want to watch:
'Norfolk has some great micro brewers, all of the beer was made from the maris otter barley and north Norfolk is known throughout the world as the Champagne region for maris otter.
'It was all malted at the Crisp Mailings in Great Ryburgh so this whole competition really is Norfolk, Norfolk, Norfolk.'
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 4 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 5 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 6 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 7 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 10 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
After a rigorous judging session an entry from Wagtail Brewery was selected as the winner.
It will be available, as the Shannon Ale, from The Real Ale Shop and on the website http://www.therealaleshop.co.uk/ from the middle of November and £1 from each bottle sold will go to the Shannon Appeal.
The Wells RNLI aim to raise £250,000 for a new Shannon-class lifeboat by the end of next year. More than £56,000 has been raised so far.
For more on the appeal go to www.wellslifeboat.org
Are you doing something for the Shannon Appeal? Email firstname.lastname@example.org