Fruit and vegetable shop reopens with new owners and name in Beccles
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Just seven weeks after the closure of a popular fruit and vegetable shop, a familiar face has stepped in to give the unit life once more.
Fresh and Fruity in Blyburgate closed down on February 25, after owners Michael Beck and Blanche Thornton decided to stop selling bananas and start pouring pints at the Red Lion pub in Southwold.
However a woman who has worked in the fruit and vegetable trade in Beccles has reopened the shop, but now under the name of Field2Fork.
The shop opened on Tuesday and is run by Jill Osborne-Biddiscombe and her husband Andrew.
Mrs Osborne-Biddiscombe is well known in the area for her work at the nearby New Covent Garden fruit and vegetable shop.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'I have about thirty years history in the trade selling fruit and vegetables from working at New Covent Garden.
'But for the past year I have been away doing little different bits here and there.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 6 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 7 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 8 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 9 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 10 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
'So it was a shock to see Michael and Blanche leave to join the pub trade in Southwold, as Fresh and Fruity had been open for 32 years and was a big part of the town.
'And on the back of that it seemed like the opportune moment to get back into the business with my husband and it has been nice to see so many familiar faces again.'
The first day was packed full of people who were surprised to see the shop open so soon after its closure less than two months ago.
Mr Osborne-Biddiscombe, who is also a choir singer in Norwich, said: 'Our first day was rammed full of people which was a surprise and great to see.
'There were a lot of familiar faces Jill knows from her past at Covent Garden as well as a lot of new faces.
'I just think what we would like to say is that we hope that the old Fresh and Fruity customers won't be turned away by us coming in and hope they are willing to give us a chance and shop here under its new persona.'
The shop sells produce from home and abroad.