Friends prepare to take on Race For Life in Norwich to raise funds for Cancer Research UK
Among the thousands planning to take part in this year's Race For Life to raise funds for Cancer Research UK are best friends Samantha Beale and Suzanne Godfrey.
They have both been inspired by people close to them who have battled cancer and are now in training to take part in the 10k fun run at the Norfolk Showground on Saturday, May 19.
Samantha, 25, from Horsford, and Suzanne, 22, from Easton, are both in the final stretch of training for the event.
Suzanne, who is studying physiotherapy at the University of East Anglia, is dedicating her fundraising to both her grandad, Derek Godfrey, who has successfully beaten cancer on many occasions, and Moyra Yates.
Mrs Yates was modern matron on the Alder Ward at Norwich Community Hospital, in Bowthorpe Road. She died aged 57 in April 2011.
You may also want to watch:
While Samantha has been inspired to take part in the run by someone close to her who has recently been given the all-clear from breast cancer.
She said: 'Having this close to home has really opened my eyes as to the fact that anything can be round the corner.'
- 1 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 4 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 7 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 Firefighters tackle 'deliberate' house fire
Samantha said she has also been inspired by the elderly people she cares for as a home care assistant for Home Instead Senior Care, based in Vulcan Road, Norwich - where she is studying NVQ level two health and social care.
The mother-of-one added: 'Working for Home Instead I have met some wonderful people and have heard lots of stories about their history. Lots of these stories involve either them beating cancer, or having had a loved one taken away from them through cancer.'
To sponsor Samantha, go to www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/samantha-beale, or to sponsor Suzanne, go to www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/suzannegodfrey
- Are you taking part in the Race For Life for a special cause? Contact Local Life editor David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email@example.com