Friends host first lunchtime concert in aid of Beccles church porch appeal
- Credit: Archant
The first Musical Bites lunchtime concert at St Michael's Church in Beccles takes place today.
The event is being hosted by the Friends of St Michael's to raise funds towards the second phase of a project to restore and repair the church's south porch.
Structural repairs were completed last summer and now they need to raise £87,000 for phase two - the conservation of the stonework which has been badly weathered.
So far £61,500 has been raised, including grants and donations, and the Friends have organised a series of lunchtime concerts to help secure the final funds.
Jonathan Palman will be giving an organ recital in the church from 12.30pm to 1.15pm today.
You may also want to watch:
Admission is free, although there will be a retiring collection for the project.
The Friends will be selling sandwiches, homemade cakes and drinks, or visitors can take along their own lunch.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 4 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 5 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 8 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 9 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
The concerts will continue next Friday, July 21, with singer Matthew Smith.