Fressingfield scout group set to expand
A north Suffolk village is set to expand the number of scouting activities it offers by forming a new scout troop.
The 1st Fressingfield Scout Group has created the 1st Fressingfield (Pioneers) following its success after growing to 80 members.
The new troop will offer the opportunity for more young people to enjoy scouting, said group scout leader Andrew Aalders-Dunthorne.
The first meeting of the new Pioneers group will take place next month and will meet every Tuesday during term time between 7pm and 8.45pm at Goodwin Hall, in New Street, Fressingfield.
Mr Aalders-Dunthorne said: 'The Pioneer Troop will take part in a range of activities and will provide a 'back to basics' style of scouting. The programme for the first term includes pioneering, cooking over open fires, axe and saw work as well as crafts and games. The emphasis will be on fun and adventure, and the programme will be decided in conjunction with the leaders, patrol leaders and assistant patrol leaders – enabling the young people to have a voice.'
The 1st Fressingfield (Pioneers) will start on Tuesday, February 7 and will begin with an informal evening where parents are encouraged to meet the leadership team as well as take part in the evening activities.
The scout group currently has 80 boys and girls enrolled with the various sections from Beavers to Explorers and the new troop will open up a further 25 places for young people between 10 and 14-years-old.
- 1 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 2 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 9 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
- 10 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
The Pioneers will be led by experienced scouter Chris Backhouse.
1st Fressingfield Beavers (6-8) and Cubs (8-10) meet weekly on Monday. Scouts-Pioneers (10-14) meet weekly on Tuesday. Scouts-Adventurers (10-14) and Explorers (14-18) meet weekly on Friday. For more information, call Mr Aalders-Dunthorne on 07908 262623.