Freda and Mick toast 60 years after meeting on the bus
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
There was a sense of fate about Freda and Mick Scott's romance, right from the start.
The couple met when Freda boarded a bus to Bury St Edmunds from her home in Thetford in order to meet a date.
When her original suitor did not show, she bumped into Mick Scott, also from Thetford - and the rest is history.
Sixty-two years on and the pair celebrated their diamond wedding on Thursday, six decades on from their wedding at St Peter's Church on March 17, 1956.
A reception at the Guildhall followed and Freda's maiden name - Scott - made the paperwork straightforward.
They have since raised five children from their home of 52 years, in Norfolk Road, with ten grandchildren and six great grandchildren following.
Mick, 82, worked as an engineer in oil, gas and as an electrician down the years, while Freda, 78, worked odd jobs in pubs, cinemas and elsewhere.
- 1 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 9 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
- 10 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof
They celebrated their 50th anniversary with one of their favourite treats - a cruise.
Freda said their marriage was not always plain sailing, but the secret was talking things through.
'We argue but we always make up,' she said.
'When we go to bed we talk it through, have a kiss, and that's that. It's just give and take.
'We've had five children and four white weddings from them, so we've not done too badly.'
Do you have a special anniversary coming up? Email email@example.com