Former WWE world champion Jack Swagger makes wrestling debut with WAW in Norwich at Epic Studios
- Credit: Archant
A clash of the titans gets underway at Epic Studios today as a former WWE world champion prepares to climb into the ring with another wrestling giant.
Jack Swagger will be making his debut with the Norwich-based World Association of Wrestling (WAW) as he takes on Cody Hall, son of Scott Hall - another former WWE star.
They are both taking part in the September To Remember event, which features a huge line-up of wrestlers, including Daivari and the UK Hooligans.
Mr Swagger, who stands at 6ft 7ins and is from Oklahoma, said he was looking forward to performing in front of the UK fans.
The 35-year-old, who is a two-time WWE world champion, added: 'I didn't come all this way to get my butt kicked. But I will just have to see if Cody's dad is going to keep out of it, or if will try and get involved. I have to be ready for all aspects.
You may also want to watch:
'But I'm really excited to see the WAW fans, I hear about them whenever I come to England.'
His opponent, Mr Hall, who is 6ft 9ins, added: 'I'm obviously expecting a good performance from myself, But I can't say the same about Jack Swagger.'
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 7 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 8 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 9 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 10 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
The September To Remember show kicked off on Friday at Epic Studios with a women's only event.
It continues today with a show at 3pm and another at 7.30pm.
Roy Knight, agent for WAW, said around £120,000 had been spent on the event's production, making it the biggest the company has organised to date.
He said: 'Friday's show was the best crowd we have ever had for a women-only event. We had 300 people turn up.
'A lot of people come and they cannot believe the atmosphere at the shows. There's a lot of chanting, and of you have the good guy, bad guy stuff. It is brilliant.'
Mr Knight, whose family formed WAW, said the next aim was to get the shows televised, which he claimed was close to becoming a reality.
He added: 'Production-wise, tonight's show is the biggest we have done so far.
'The last four to five shows have been sold out, so fans are really getting behind us.'
The show is being streamed live on FITE TV.
WAW was formed in 1994 by Ricky Knight, his wife Saraya and his tag team partner Jimmy Ocean.