Former Waveney District councillor for Worlingham Andrew Draper handed suspended prison sentence for stun gun offence
Shamed former district councillor Andrew Draper has been handed a suspended prison sentence this afternoon after admitting illegally possessing a stun gun.
Draper, 38, of Martin Close, Carlton Colville, Lowestoft, was given a eight month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months and ordered to carry out 200 hours unpaid work in the community when he appeared for sentencing at Ipswich Crown Court.
He had pleaded guilty to possessing the prohibited weapon last week.
Today's court appearance follows Draper's arrest and guilty plea to drink-driving and assaulting a police officer last August and a further court appearance last November when he was ordered to pay �500 in fines and compensation after admitting sending an offensive email to a police officer.
Draper, who was a Waveney District councillor for Worlingham, had sent the email to a Norfolk police sergeant after she told him that his complaint against Suffolk Constabulary over the manner of his arrest for drink-driving would not be upheld.
You may also want to watch:
However, both of Draper's allegations were rejected by a police complaints review process.
Following his convictions for drink-driving and assaulting a police officer Draper resigned as a Tory councillor on Waveney District Council to become an independent, but quit the council last November after his arrest over the email – triggering a by-election in Worlingham.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
See out website later today for the full story on Draper's sentencing.