Former soldier Phil Packer visits Norwich during his 2,012 mile walking challenge
Four years ago Phil Packer was told he was unlikely to walk again after suffering severe spinal cord injury, but today the former soldier was joined by young people and adults in Norfolk to complete the latest part of his challenge to walk 2,012 miles this year.
Mr Packer wants to cover every county during his 'Brit Challenge' which he is doing to raise awareness of the British Inspiration Trust, an organisation he has set up with the aim of creating a �15 million centre to help young people in need of support to help regain their self-worth, self-belief and self-confidence.
Today was day 79 of his challenge, and it saw him walk eight miles from the Eaton Vale Activity Centre, in Eaton, to The Forum in Norwich city centre. About 40 adults and children accompanied him including members of the Norfolk charity Momentum, which organised the day, and The Discovery Centre in King's Lynn.
Mr Packer said: 'My whole vision is to build a centre of inspiration for young people who face adversity, and that group includes those who are disabled, deprived, injured, wounded or who have medical conditions.
'When you go through dark times you can lose your self-confidence and self-worth and it can leave you in a dark place, and the idea of the centre is to help those young people that need help to get out of a dark place.'
Ros Czarnowska, from Momentum, said the charity was delighted to host Mr Packer and give young people in Norfolk the chance to join him on his challenge and hear his inspiring story.
Mr Packer plans to finish his 2,012 miles in London in the middle of December. He walked the London Marathon on crutches over 14 days in 2009 and has been made an MBE for services to the Armed Forces.
- 1 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 2 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 3 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 4 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 5 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 6 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 7 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 8 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 9 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 10 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
• For more information go to www.britishinspirationtrust.org.uk or @philpacker on Twitter.
• Are you taking part in an unusual challenge? Call reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email email@example.com