Former soldier launches new Beccles business
- Credit: Nick Butcher
John McGrath could not be described as your average mortgage adviser.
As an ex-commando Mr McGrath saw his fair share of active service in conflicts around the world, continuing his family tradition of serving the country.
Mr McGrath, who has just opened Independent Mortgage, a brokerage firm based in The Walk, Beccles, joined the forces after his grandfather served with distinction in the Royal Navy during the Second World War.
And his own father continued the tradition by serving in the Army for 18 years.
The family affair has become a source of pride over the years, with both Mr McGrath's brothers, two uncles and two cousins also serving in the forces.
You may also want to watch:
And today two of his nephews have joined the Army, with a member of his family serving in most conflicts from the Second World War to Afghanistan.
In 1973 Mr McGrath, his father and his uncle were on active service in Northern Ireland at the same time.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 7 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 8 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 9 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 10 Man defrauded more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm to fund gambling addiction
He said: 'That was a really strange experience for us all. My mother was sick with worry as she had her husband, eldest son and brother all in the firing line at the same time.'
Since leaving the forces following an injury Mr McGrath has continued to work in a people-orientated industry giving mortgage advice to first time buyers and home movers, and has now expanded his business with his wife via their own brokerage firm in Beccles.
He said: 'As a people-orientated person, I enjoy helping home buyers and home owners get the best mortgage advice possible and get access to the best mortgage deals on the market. After all it is a big financial responsibility so it makes sense to speak to someone independent of the banks, building societies, or estate agents for totally unbiased advice.'
If you would like to make an appointment call 01502 713333 or call in at the shop.