Former Norwich pub landlady’s trip down memory lane at book-signing
Former regulars gathered at a city centre pub to meet up with a former landlady who has written a book on her time there.
Jude Gudgin ran the Walnut Tree Shades in the city centre with husband Chris Gudgin for 25 years.
Since retirement she has written a book on life at the boozer, called 'Last Orders at the Walnut Tree Shades', which documents the ups and downs of running a pub, and she held a book-signing at the venue last night.
Afterwards, she said: 'It was an absolutely fantastic night and it was packed to the rafters. For many of our friends it was a trip down memory lane. One of them said it was like 1992 again.
'It was a chance for them to relive their times at the Walnut and while I had a lot of trouble remembering people's names, I could always remember what their favourite drinks were.'
You may also want to watch:
One hundred and thirty copies of the book were sold, and Mrs Gudgin said the buyers were not just former customers.
She said: 'I've been told that some of the people who have read it had never been in the Walnut before. It's an insight into pub life wherever you drink.'
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Water outages hit homes across city
- 4 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 People released from car after crash closes road
- 7 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 8 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 9 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 10 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
The former landlady said she was now enjoying her retirement and seeing more of her two grandchildren.
'Chris and I worked together all those years but this is the first chance we've really had to spend so much quality time together,' she said.
The book is now avilable at bookshops across the city.