Former King’s Lynn British Sugar worker died after exposure to asbestos, inquest told
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2012
A former employee of British Sugar died after he was exposed to asbestos, an inquest heard.
David Wakefield, 72, of Fitton Road, Wiggenhall St Germans, near King's Lynn, sought medical help in 2014 after his chest felt tight and he suffered shortness of breath.
He was diagnosed with the industrial disease mesothelioma, lodged a compensation claim against his former employers and made several written statements before his death.
The father-of-two, who was employed by British Sugar at King's Lynn for 36 years, stated he believed he was exposed to asbestos dust.
He had worked as a sugar boiler, then as a welder and pipe fitter.
You may also want to watch:
'I was exposed to asbestos dust as I would be taking down asbestos-lagged pipes,' said Mr Wakefield, in a written statement read at Norfolk Coroners Court today.
He added that he had been in good health for most of his life until 2014.
- 1 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 2 What each lockdown tier could mean for Norfolk
- 3 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 4 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 5 Man arrested after woman suffers broken collar bone in row over mask
- 6 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
- 7 Drivers ‘lucky to walk away’ as cars overturn
- 8 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 9 North Norfolk farmer who grew potatoes for Walkers crisps dies aged 92
- 10 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
'I can walk on the flat but find it very difficult walking up inclines,' he said in a statement made in May 2014. 'I've lost a stone in weight.'
He died at his home address on October 21 this year.
Assistant coroner Johanna Thompson concluded that Mr Wakefield died of an industrial disease.