Former Gorleston footballer and Wisbech Town manager Bryan Boggis to appear at court over historic sex offence
- Credit: Archant
A former Gorleston professional footballer has been reported by police for gross indecency with a boy following an investigation looking at alleged historic sex offences in football.
Bryan Boggis, 75, of Suffield Road, is due to appear at Cambridge Magistrates' Court tomorrow (Tuesday).
He is charged with gross decency with a boy under 14 with the alleged offence said to have happened between July 1968 and June 1970 in Cambridgeshire.
Boggis Boggis began playing for Gorleston as a 15-year-old.
At 17 he was spotted by a scout and signed for Aston Villa. He went on to play for Crystal Palace before signing for Cambridge United as a right back.
You may also want to watch:
Boggis went on to become manager for Wisbech Town from October 1967 to May 1970 and then Stevenage Athletic.
After leaving the world of football he becoming licensee of a number of pubs in the Great Yarmouth and Gorleston area including Peggotty's in Gorleston, the Middleton Arms, The Albion, The Ferryboat Inn, Lichfield Arms, The Great Eastern, The Wellington and the Norfolk Tavern.
- 1 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 4 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 7 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 8 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 9 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said: 'A 75-year-old man is due to appear at Cambridge Magistrates' Court on August 8 in connection with a non-recent sexual offence.
'Bryan Boggis, of Suffield Road, Gorleston, has been reported for gross indecency with a boy under the age of 14.
'The case forms part of the force's investigation into non-recent allegations related to football in Cambridgeshire.
'The offence is alleged to have happened between July 1 1968 and June 30, 1970.'