Former Dereham mayor dies aged 77
Tributes have been paid in memory of a former Dereham town mayor who has died at the age of 77.
Len Snowley died at Nightingale Care Home in Welborne on May 9, leaving behind his wife Enid and daughter Lorraine.
The long-serving town councillor served two terms as mayor of Dereham, from 1989-90 and 1993-94.
One of Mr Snowley's fellow councillors was the current mayor Michael Fanthorpe, who led the tributes to the popular public servant.
'It is very sad news,' he said. 'Len was a very down-to-earth and serious man who made a lot of right decisions for Dereham.
'He was councillor who knew a lot about his town and went back many, many years. He brought a lot of colour and a lot of common sense to the council. He was very well-thought of and one of the nicest men I have ever met. A first-class chap. He will be greatly missed.'
Mr Snowley was service manager at Dereham Motors when he was elected for his second mayoral term in 1993, and pledged to protect the town while providing vital employment, saying: 'Dereham needs more industry to provide jobs, but must preserve all that is good in the town.'
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 4 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 5 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 6 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
- 7 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 8 Builder of 15 years puts down tools and opens smokehouse restaurant
- 9 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 10 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
His funeral service will be held at St Nicholas Church, Dereham, on Tuesday May 24 at 11am, followed by a private cremation.
Family flowers only are requested, but donations to benefit the residents of Nightingale Care Home can be made at the service or via WC Littleproud and Son (Donation A/C) Family Funeral Directors, Hale Road, Bradenham.