Forget Bake Off - Norfolk chef wins Sausage Roll Off
- Credit: Archant
The sausage roll may appear to many to be a simple buffet filler but, for one Norfolk chef, he's become king of the finger food.
Charlie Hodson, founder of Charlie's Norfolk Food Heroes and a food and drink champion for the county, put his culinary skills to the test last night at the fifth annual Sausage Roll Off competition in London - and won.
The event took place at the Red Lion in Barnes and saw 20 chefs in a cook-off, taking it in turns to create, roll and bake their own masterpieces for up to four hours before being judged.
Mr Hodson baked his own creation - the 'Nelson' sausage roll - which was made from local Norfolk produce.
He said: 'I didn't expect to win but victorious is the word - I'm really pleased.'
The event helped to raise money for charity Shooting Star Chase - a leading children's hospice charity caring for babies, children and young people with life-limiting conditions, and their families.
The 'Nelson' sausage roll ingredients
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 5 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 6 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 7 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 8 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 9 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 10 All I want for Christmas is... a twinkling tractor with fairy lights
Puff pastry made with Letheringsett Mill flour, the only watermill still grinding flour in East Anglia.
Butter from Norton's Dairy.
Pork sausage meat: Pigs reared by Tim Allen (fourth generation farmer), slaughtered by Blake's of Costessey (Norfolk's last remaining slaughter house and third generation family), butchered by Jamie Archer of Archer's Butchers (third generation farmer).
Real blood blackpudding from Fruit Pig Black Pudding.
Norfolk saffron grown and harvested by Dr Sally Francis and family in north Norfolk.
Wildknight vodka from Beachemwell, based on Mongolian sipping vodka.
Maldon sea salt (this is the only product that is not from Norfolk as no one has managed to find away to bring salt harvesting to Norfolk's shores just yet).
And the secret recipe is 'Charlie's Food Heroes' original smokey and sticky barbecue sauce.