For sail! Your chance to buy a Norfolk Broads windmill for as little as £100,000
- Credit: Cliff Moore of press office spec
How do you fancy emulating Windy Miller and having the run of your own mill?
It seems an unlikely ambition, but today the opportunity has come up - for as little as £100,000.
The five-storey Clippesby windmill and pumphouse at Ashby With Oby, near Acle, has a freehold guide price of £100,000 plus.
It is listed in the next Essex and North and East London sale by independent regional land and property auctioneer Clive Emson Auctioneers on Wednesday May 3.
With five levels, it has previously been converted into a weekend retreat but retains many of its internal features.
You may also want to watch:
According to norfolkmills.co.uk, Ashby Clippesby mill is one of the older mills. It was originally built with older type narrow bricks before being heightened using a more modern style of wider brick, possibly in 1814.
The mill had a Norfolk boat-shaped cap with a petticoat and gallery.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 5 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 6 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 7 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 8 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
In 1958, it was converted to holiday accommodation. By the 1970s a modern brick pumphouse had been built close by to take over the work of the mill.
In 1978, the mill was struck by lightning and sail stocks subsequently removed.
Paul Bridgeman, auctioneer and former president of the National Association of Auctioneers and Valuers, said: 'Windmills always generate a great deal of interest at auction because of their curiosity value and rarity.
'Clippesby is thought to be one of the older windmills before being heightened, possibly in 1814, and includes a balcony on its top floor.
'In addition to the windmill and pumphouse, there is a footbridge leading to nearby land included in the freehold. It offers all kinds of potential to the new owner, including residential development, subject to the necessary consents.'
The windmill is on the banks of the river Bure, close to the heart of the Norfolk Broads.
Clive Emson Auctioneers holds eight rounds of auctions at five locations from Essex to Cornwall on consecutive days every six weeks, this time with a total of 137 lots.
Starting at 11am, the sale that includes Ashby Clippesby Windmill is on Wednesday, May 3 at 11am.
? Visit www.cliveemson.co.uk