Footballer 'denies claims' of indecent exposure

RICHARD BALLS England and Newcastle soccer star Kieron Dyer has been questioned by police in Norwich again about claims that he indecently exposed himself to a woman at a city hotel.

RICHARD BALLS

England and Newcastle soccer star Kieron Dyer was questioned by police in Norwich again yesterday about claims that he indecently exposed himself to a woman at a city hotel.

The 27-year-old player had his bail period extended and was told to return to Bethel Street police station in Norwich

in September while the investigation into the alleged offence at the Nelson Hotel continued.

Dyer, dressed casually in a brown vest, shorts, sandals and sunglasses, strolled into the station with his solicitor at 10.25am as he responded

to a bail date set after his

Most Read

arrest.

He emerged 45 minutes later and drove away from the

Forum car park in a dark blue Bentley.

Dyer made no comment,

but his solicitor said: “He has denied the allegations prev-iously, and that is all we have

to say.”

A spokesman for Norwich police said: “The 27-year-old man who was arrested on May 24 on suspicion of indecently exposing himself at a Norwich hotel on April 30 has responded to bail at Bethel Street police station this morning.

“Investigations are still ongoing, and officers have now extended his bail until September until their enquiries are concluded.”

Dyer was with another footballer and other friends when he allegedly exposed himself to a female member of staff at the hotel on Prince of Wales Road, which overlooks the River Wensum.

When interviewed for

the first time almost a

month later, he strongly

denied the claims and Newcastle United issued a statement

saying that the allegations were untrue.

The midfield player emerged

as a prodigious talent at

Ipswich Town and was snapped up by Newcastle for £6m

in 1999.

He has found himself in the headlines on a number of occasions since then, often in connection with off-the-field incidents and allegations.

He was handed a two-month driving ban in 2001 after he admitted driving at more than 100mph.

And in the same year he was sent home from Newcastle's training camp in Marbella along with three team-mates and

fined two weeks' wages after they missed a dinner held in honour of club president Sir John Hall.

In 2003, he was stopped on a road in County Durham after police clocked him travelling at 63mph in a 50mph zone.

Two-and-a-half years ago, he was wrongly accused of involvement in what turned out to be a false allegation of

the rape of a woman at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London.