Flats evacuated after Norwich fire
PUBLISHED: 12:27 27 December 2017 | UPDATED: 12:35 27 December 2017
A block of flats was evacuated after fire broke out.
The small blaze in the first-floor flat, in the low-rise Orbit Housing building on William White Place, Norwich, started at 8.27pm on Boxing Day.
Firefighters from Carrow, Sprowston and Earlham put out the fire which was just off Gas Hill.
Eyewitness Nigel Brock, 60, who lives next to the Orbit Housing building, said: “The smoke was billowing out of the window.”
The fire was in a small two-bedroom flat on the middle floor of the three-storey block.
Mick Hughes, watch manager for red watch at Carrow Fire Station, said the smoke came from a pile of tea towels in the kitchen of the flat.
He said the fire was accidental and the owner was out of the property at the time of the emergency.
The owner returned home as firefighters, who were on scene for 40 minutes, were putting out the smoke, according to Mr Hughes.
He said about four people from four surrounding flats left the building during the incident but no-one was injured.
A police car was called but paramedics were not.