5 things you may have missed last week because of the Beast from the East
- Credit: Archant
Last week the region was hit with freezing temperatures and heavy snow, causing a news focus to be put on road closures, transport cancellations, schools and weather reports.
Because of this, many other stories went online under the radar. Here's a look at five things you might have missed because of the Beast from the East:
Alexander Palmer jailed for life
Alexander Palmer, a former army commando, has been jailed for life with a minimum term of 28 years for the 'callous and planned' murder of dog walker Peter Wrighton. After an eight day trial, a jury at Nottingham Crown Court took less than an hour to convict the 24-year old from Cringleford over the knife attack at East Harling last summer. Mr Wrighton's body was discovered on The Heath on August 5. The 83-year old suffered around 44 stab wounds to the neck and head. Palmer, of Freesia Way, who served with the British Army between 2010 and 2015, denied the attack.
Maplin and Toys R Us call in administrators
You may also want to watch:
Last week was a tough one for high street businesses, as it saw retailers Toys R Us and Maplin enter administration. Toys R US were left unable to pay a £15m tax bill following a poor Christmas. The group, which has stores in Ipswich and Norwich, is continuing to operate and administrators have said there will be a 25pc discount on everything. Some stores may close in the coming days. Similarly, Maplin fell into trouble, putting 2,500 jobs at risks. Graham Harris, the company's chief executive, said: 'I can confirm that it has not been possible to secure a solvent sale of the business and as a result we now have no alternative but to enter into an administration process.' Maplin has two stores in Norwich as well as King's Lynn, Lowestoft and Ipswich. These will remain open as usual for the time being.
Two gin festivals coming to Norwich
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
Gin lovers in Norwich are in for a treat this year as not one but two festivals celebrating the tipple come to the city. The Gin Festival, which is billed as 'the UK's first, biggest and best' of its kind will return to St Andrews Hall for a fourth year over July 6-8, with four sessions for gin lovers to sign up for. If that weren't enough, a new event - The Great British Gin Festival - will also be heading to the city, taking place at OPEN on Bank Plain on October 20.
Matty C's legal threat
The owner of a burger van on a Norwich industrial estate has seen off a legal threat from McDonald's, after he was accused of infringing the fast food giant's trademark. Matthew Coldham, 35, was stunned when an eight page letter from solicitors acting on behalf of McDonald's was hand delivered to him over the van he runs from Meteor Close on Norwich Airport Industrial Estate. The solicitors claimed Mr Coldham's logo for Matty C's Burger Shack was 'a play' on the McDonald's nickname of Maccy D's. They also said the golden M of Matty was similar to the famous Golden Arches of the fast food restaurants and the closeness of the M next to the C was also considered as an infringement. Mr Coldham, who lives in Newton Flotman, said: 'When I first got the letter, I thought it was a joke. I couldn't believe it, as I'm just a small independent trader with a van on an industrial estate. 'But when I rang the solicitors and found out it was real, my heart did skip a beat.'
Your chance to become a star?
The Voice UK is returning to Norwich to hold open auditions for the next series. Producers for the ITV series will be in the city on Thursday April 19 on the hunt for the next winner of the show. A promotional poster for the auditions states: 'Do you think you've got what it takes to turn a chair? We are on the lookout for incredible singing solo artists and duos for The Voice 2019.' Auditions are to be held at 3.30pm at The Garage, on Chapelfield North, and those auditioning are asked to prepare a song acapella or with a backing track.