Five things we learned this week
- Credit: Archant
In case you missed them, here are five stories that caught our eye this week.
• Former Hollywood child star Macaulay Culkin made an appearance at Norwich's Waterfront
Home Alone star Macaulay Culkin made a surprise appearance in Norwich when he came out on stage and sang a duet with Adam Green at The Waterfront Studio. Culkin, who rose to fame as a child star after working on films such as Home Alone, Richie Rich and My Girl in the 90s, came out during Green's set to help him with a performance of Lucky Number Nine, a song by The Moldy Peaches, an indie group that has been on hiatus since 2004.
• Yet more chaos at the new Postwick Hub junction
A trial to assess how to solve traffic jams on the £21m Postwick Hub had to be abandoned - because of the tailbacks of vehicles it created. Norfolk County Council is considering installing a new segregated left turn lane because of the problems with traffic coming from the Great Yarmouth direction and heading into Thorpe St Andrew. To simulate the impact such a lane would have on other traffic, the council planned to carry out two tests over two weeks. But the first of the two tests, carried out at about 8am on Monday, had to be rapidly abandoned, because of the jams the trial created.
You may also want to watch:
• One of Britain's most remote pubs is up for auction
Accessible only by boat, train or a five-mile trek across the marshes, one of Britain's most remote pubs could be yours when it comes up for auction next month. The Berney Arms pub on the Norfolk Broads has been put up for sale along with two former wooden lodges, two static caravans and various other buildings situated on the Broads alongside the River Yare.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 7 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 8 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
• Did Anne Boleyn make a ghostly appearance at Blickling?
A photograph taken at Blickling Hall on the anniversary of Anne Boleyn's death appears to show some ghostly goings-on. Henry VIII's ill-fated queen is said to return to Blickling, her childhood home and possible birthplace, at midnight every May 19, the anniversary of her execution. And a photograph taken by keen photographer Tracy Morris, 40, from North Walsham in the early hours just after midnight appears to some paranormal activity.
• A secret World War Two bunker built on Winston Churchill's orders has been discovered in Thorpe St Andrew
A secret Second World War bunker built on the orders of Winston Churchill lay hidden under a Thorpe St Andrew estate for almost 70 years. Its entrance is behind a bookcase, its aerial was disguised in a tree with the feeder cable under the bark, and there was an escape tunnel in case its operatives were discovered. Now the underground wireless station, on private land at Pinebanks, off Yarmouth Road, has been protected as a scheduled monument by the government on the advice of Historic England.