Fitting out workshop is first project for Wayland Men’s Shed
- Credit: Ian Burt
A new haven of manly pursuits from snooker to sawing has officially opened.
The Wayland Men's Shed opened its doors for its first session this week, welcoming more than 20 men.
After moving into the former air cadets' hall in Church Walk, Watton, the Men's Shed committee set about renovating to create two spaces for its members.
There is a social area with a pool table – donated by local businessman Paul Adcock – sofas, card decks and a kitchenette, and the committee is in the process of fitting out a workshop which will be available for any DIY projects including woodwork and metalwork.
Men's Shed committee member Robert King said: 'It was a very enthusiastic day. We increased our membership and now have just over 20 members.
You may also want to watch:
'We had a lot of fun and I am sure our group will grow.
'The big advantage is there is a wealth of knowledge that you can call on, from the other members, while also helping others with your individual skills.'
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
Mr King said the committee is seeking donations of tools and work benches for the workshop.
He added: 'We have had donations from members of the public for which we are very grateful.
'Once the workshop is complete we are having a model boat donated to us which needs refitting.'
The building is being leased to the Wayland Partnership, which runs the Men's Shed, from the Ministry of Defence.
The Wayland Men's Shed meets on Mondays from 10am-1pm and Wednesdays from 1pm-5pm. Membership is £20 per year plus £2 per meeting. Non-members are also welcome.
For more information call Robert King on 01953 885047 or Richard Adams on 01953 881004.