Fitness instructors’ appeal for music fans to get ‘Totally Shredded’
- Credit: Archant
Sheringham fitness instructors Garry Thompson and Emma Taylor will be putting music fans through their paces, at a Drum & Bass workout they have organised to raise funds for children with life-limiting illnesses.
Proceeds from the event, which runs at Sheringham Community Centre, will go East Anglia's Children's Hospices (EACH), a cause close to Emma's heart as the charity supported her family when her youngest child Lauren was seriously ill.
Born with a rare chromosome disorder that left the tot partially sighted, hearing impaired and unable to breathe without support, doctors told the family her condition was 'incompatible with life' and gave her just three days to live.
However, the youngster defied expectations and, after a spell in the EACH hospice at Quidenham, she was sent home to live with her parents and older siblings Caitlin and Thomas.'
'It was difficult, but Quidenham were there for us right to the end,' Mrs Taylor said. 'We went once a month and whether they took Lauren so we could spend time with Caitlin and Thomas, or took us out as a family, knowing that we had that support just made no end of difference.'
You may also want to watch:
As a mum of three children, one of whom needed 24-hour care, Mrs Taylor was keen to find time for herself and, after joining the gym at Splash Leisure Centre, Sheringham, she was inspired to train as an instructor.
'Getting into fitness really helped me cope, and from a mental health point of view, to be able to switch the music on and have that place of your own is just amazing.'
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 7 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
- 8 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 9 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 10 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
Since Lauren lost her fight for life at the age of 15 months in 2011, Mrs Taylor has embarked on further training, also teaming up with Splash colleague Mr Thompson to run weekly 'Totally Shredded' workouts for all fitness levels.
Keen to support EACH, the pair came up with the idea of holding two back-to-back 50 minute sessions, with entry fees going to the charity.
'We really wanted to do an event and the EACH Nook Appeal just seemed like the right charity to support,' Mrs Taylor explained.
The workout runs at 10am on Saturday, March 25. To book a place, or to donate raffle prizes, phone 07788 296916 or visit www.bookwhen.com/totallyshreddedsheringham