Fishmonger who supports Ipswich hopes Blues will batter Canaries to prove customers wrong
Living and working in Suffolk, Ipswich Town fan Matthew Wylds thought his love for the Tractor Boys would be shared by many.
But the father of two, who runs Steve’s Seadish fish stall in Beccles four days a week, says he is constantly teased by the majority of his customers who cheer on the Canaries.
And with the Derby Day on Sunday, where Mr Wylds is hoping for a 3-1 win for the Blues, there’s been more football rivalry than ever.
He said: “About 70pc of my customers are Norwich season ticket holders or fans and as an Ipswich fan I’ve been getting stick for years.
“Some people come up and have a chat about the football who don’t even buy fish.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s all done in a good way and it’s quite comical, but I get lots of little digs.
“They always talk about how poor Ipswich are and how good Norwich are, but they never remember the history because they haven’t got any and we have, so that never gets brought up.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 3 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 4 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 5 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 6 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 7 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 8 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 9 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 10 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
“People tell me I sell the best fish in the town, but I support the worst team.”
Mr Wylds, who lives in Lowestoft, will be taking his two sons Corey, 13, and Jude, 11, to the game on Sunday, where they will have their first derby experience.
The 40-year-old, who has supported Ipswich since he was four, said: “I fancy our chances this time and I’m taking the kids so I am hoping they will be my lucky charm.”