First event for Norfolk Day 2021 officially announced
- Credit: Melanie Sturman
The first event for Norfolk Day 2021 has been announced - and it’s one that will get you reaching for your trainers!
Hosted by Thetford Running Events, a virtual 5k and 10k challenge will be taking place the weekend before the big day in July.
This will be the third year Melanie Sturman has helped to organise the event. Last year, more than 200 people signed up to take part.
Ms Sturman, 50, of Rowan Close, Thetford, was the first person to announce a Norfolk Day 2021 event.
She said: “Norfolk Day is always one of the year's highlights for me.
“Due to the covid pandemic, I needed to start the process of ordering our medals earlier but it was a surprise to find out I was the first person to announce an event. It is really lovely to be the first and I am always proud to be part of the day.
You may also want to watch:
"I was born in Norfolk and as a county, it has a lot to offer; Some of the best beaches, a beautiful city, some wonderful nature reserves, fabulous walks, and very friendly people. Having a day to celebrate our county is a unique way of showing off our county to the best and getting people involved.”
In 2019, Ms Sturman and her fiancé, Richard Furness, hosted the inaugural 10k event to celebrate the day and in 2020 the event was made virtual due to the pandemic.
Runners and walkers can take part in either a 5k or 10k route, and share their photos as evidence through Thetford Running Events website or Facebook page, or the Thetford Runners and Walkers Facebook group. In return, participants will be sent out a bespoke-designed medal.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 6 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 7 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 8 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 9 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 10 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
She added: “We have people who have lived in Norfolk but moved away. One of this year’s participants, who used to live in Thetford, is now living in America and is taking part."
This year, the event is raising money for the charity Miniature Donkeys for Wellbeing.
- Norfolk Day takes place on Tuesday, July 27.