First British astronaut to headline Norfolk Science Festival
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The first British astronaut will be a headline speaker at the inaugural Norfolk Science Festival.
Helen Sharman was also the first woman to visit the Mir space station in 1991 after being chosen out of a pool of 13,000 applicants for the top job.
Awarded an OBE in 1993, Ms Sharman is a full-time scientist, a pioneer and role model for young people.
She will present a talk called 'Out of this world' at the Norfolk Science Festival, due to take place at Thetford Grammar School on Friday, March 29 and Saturday, March 30.
A spokesman for the Norfolk Science Festival said: 'With numerous hands-on exhibitors, stall holders and activities, coming to Thetford on the 30th of March, this is the start of what will be an annual event each Easter.
Ms Sharman will speak at the Carnegie Rooms in Thetford on Friday, March 29 at 7.30pm with tickets available on Eventbrite.
- 1 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 2 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 3 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 4 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 5 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 6 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 7 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 8 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 9 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
- 10 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast