Firefighters spend all night dealing with blaze at derelict former school
- Credit: Archant
Fire crews tackled a blaze at a derelict former school on the edge of Norwich.
Shortly after 3pm on Saturday, Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service was called to the former Langley Preparatory School site at Beech Hill off Yarmouth Road in Thorpe St Andrew.
At its peak, crews from Carrow, Earlham, Sprowston and Hethersett were all in attendance, with a drone also being used to provide an overview of the site.
A spokesman from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said that the call came in at 3.03pm and that the building’s dereliction had meant parts of the building were inaccessible to the crews, who were fighting the blaze from outside.
Firefighters remained on scenee all night and the last crew left at 5.30am.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of fire is still unknown
The 19th century school building has been vacant since 2010, when the school moved to Thorpe House before merging with Taverham Hall School six years later.
In 2018, it was subject to a suspected arson attack, which saw fire tear through the site. However, police closed an investigation into the incident without any charges made.In the aftermath of the blaze, a spokesman for Thorpe St Andrew Town Council said the incident was “entirely foreseeable”, with ongoing concern about the vacant site.
- 1 PE teacher banned after getting drunk and showing her breasts at school prom
- 2 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 3 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 4 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 5 Man arrested after woman suffers broken collar bone in row over mask
- 6 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
- 7 Commuter trains halted as Norwich to London line blocked
- 8 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 9 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
Meanwhile, crews were also called on Saturday evening to tackle a large bonfire on the Sweet Briar Road Industrial Estate in Hellesdon.
Crews from Wroxham and Hethersett stations extinguished the blaze on Burnett Road, arriving at 5.12pm, putting the fire out by 5.40pm.