Firefighters tackle Lowestoft flat blaze
AROUND 20 firefighters continue to remain at the scene of a flat fire in Lowestoft.
Four crews are tackling the blaze in Commercial Road, after being called out at about 1.20pm. The fire has affected the first and second floors of a three storey building, with police and the ambulance service also at the scene.
'We were called at just after 1.20pm to a flat in Commercial Road, four fire crews are currently on the scene and the male occupant has been accounted for,' a police spokesman said. 'Traffic is now going down Commercial Road again after it had initially been closed.'
An onlooker said: 'There is lots of smoke and the fire is right opposite the old Aldi store.' Another witness added: 'It looks like quite a nasty fire.'
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said two crews from Lowestoft South and two crews from Lowestoft North were tackling the blaze after 'persons were reported.'
'The flat is a mid-terraced building consisting of traditional construction, four breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet are in use,' the spokesman said. 'As of 1.47pm smoke was still issuing from the first floor, and BA crews were carrying out a thorough search of all the floors.'
By 1.52pm. 'all persons' had been accounted for.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 2 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 3 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 4 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 5 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 6 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 7 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
A police spokesman added that the man, who was in the flat when the fire started, was 'conscious and breathing' but he was being treated by the ambulance service at the scene.