WATCH: Wildfire burns in field near Norwich International Airport next to NDR
- Credit: @shakelikeshak
Firefighters were called to tackle a blaze on a field next to the Broadland Northway.
Six fire crews, including ones from Wymondham, Aylsham, Stalham and Long Stratton were called to the field, opposite Norwich International Airport and close to the A140 roundabout, at 3.20pm on Thursday afternoon.
Photographs of the blaze show smoke billowing across from the burning field, and police were called to the scene to guide traffic.
While the fire was put out by about 4.30pm, about nine acres of field were left scorched.
Alan Jaye, from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service, said: 'We had the fire under control within about 40 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
'It was burning quite slowly so we were able to get round the edges and surround it.
'We used about six hose reels and we had the water carrier too.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 4 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 7 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 8 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 9 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 10 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
'We got the police out too as there was significant smoke going across the NDR.'
Another fire has broken out in nearby Horsford, where four pumps have been sent to Green Lane to tackle a wildfire.
It came amid a spate of at least 14 similar fires on Thursday - including a stubble field fire in Stanfield at 5am, a peat fire in Horsey at 6am and a grass fire in Thetford at 8.30am. Crews were called to blazes around the county, including King's Lynn, Frettenham, Thetford, Whissonsett and Dunton.
The ongoing heatwave around the country has caused particularly dry conditions.