Neighbours 'terrified' as garage catches fire
PUBLISHED: 18:50 26 June 2018 | UPDATED: 08:49 27 June 2018
A neighbour has described being "terrified" after a garage next to their property caught fire.
Crews from Diss, Thetford and Long Stratton were called to Winfarthing Road in Shelfanger, near Diss, after the blaze started at around 4.20pm on Tuesday.
Neighbour Lesley Froggatt, 65, was working in her garden when the fire started.
She said: “I could hear crackling and a bang and when I went through my gate the heat hit me.
“I was terrified - I have never been so close to a fire. We had our cars on the drive and our motorhome so I found my husband to make sure he was okay, shut the windows and called the fire brigade.”
Mrs Froggatt added: “I had concerns for my property. The corner of their house was alight and I thought if it blows it could spread to ours. Even if it was just a cinder I made sure everything was shut.”
Fire crews were on scene until 5.45pm when two appliances left, with the third staying to make sure that the fire did not relight.
There were concerns the fire could spread to an adjacent property with a thatched roof but firefighters were able to control the blaze.
Thetford station manager Luke Hancock said: “The fire was starting to spread to a house behind the property.
“Embers were going onto properties on the back with one of those having a thatched roof.
“We are making sure that a pump stays and damps down the material so nothing is left alight.
“There are cylinders around the back, a ride on lawn mower and other household items.”
No-one is believed to have been hurt in the incident.