Fire services battle 80 tonne straw bale blaze through the night
Fire crews have been battling an 80 tonne straw bale blaze throughout the night.
Emergency services were alerted to the incident in School Lane, Heckingham, at 8.14pm on Monday, August 14.
Teams from Beccles, Gorleston, Loddon and Harleston responded after initial reports suggested approximately eight straw bales were alight.
Hose reels and main jets were used to fight the flames.
At midnight it is reported that the firefighters on scene were still using the main jets to try and extinguish the blaze.
From 2am onwards however the crews took part in a process of 'turning over and dampening down' to ensure further fires did not start.
A spokesman for Norfolk Fire Service said: 'As straw bales are tightly packed together there can be hot spots within them. The team must check for these and dampen down any areas at risk.'
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 5 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 6 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 7 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 8 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 9 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 10 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
Crews remained on scene as part of a watching brief. The scene was fully secured by 7.14am.