Twelve crews battle thatched roof fire in village
- Credit: Liz Coates
Dozens of firefighters are tackling a blaze in a thatched property in Martham.
The blaze is on Back Lane in the village.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service tweeted: "We are currently dealing with a thatch building fire in Martham.
"Please avoid the area to allow emergency services access. If you live in the smoke plume please keep your doors and windows closed."
There are currently eight fire engines on scene, as well as a Command Unit and an Aerial Platform.
Assistant chief fire officer Scott Norman said that the main objective is to salvage the furniture and electrical items from inside the property, whilst trying to avoid the spread of the fire to the front of the building.
A local farmer has offered to store the items for the owner of Gables Farm.
- 1 Gallery of pictures from the Royal Norfolk Show's first day
- 2 Murder jury hears how 'angry' father ran over teenage daughter
- 3 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
- 4 Festival-goers 'in the dark' over refunds following cancellation
- 5 WATCH: Shock for drivers as car goes the wrong way on A47
- 6 Revealed: The most isolated neighbourhoods in Norfolk
- 7 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 8 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 9 Vicar at heart of bitter church row resigns
- 10 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
More to follow.