Firefighters called to reports of blaze in Norwich Lanes
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have praised quick-thinking staff at a Norwich restaurant where a fire broke out.
Fire crews were called to the Mambo Jambo restaurant in the Norwich Lanes at about 11.40am on Sunday - just before it was due to open.
A member of staff had spotted smoke in the Lower Goat Lane restaurant and called the brigade.
Crews from Carrow and Earlham went to the scene.
Stefan Rider, from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service, said: "There's a small, smouldering fire in part of the building.
You may also want to watch:
"We believe we have extinguished it, but we are just having to expose the area around it to make sure it hasn't spread any further.
"There was some hazy smoke in there which a member of staff spotted.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk
- 10 Woman who got stuck in marshes rescued by coastguards
"They did a really good job to call us and get everybody out."
Mr Rider said there were about 11 firefighters inside the building.
Upper Goat Lane has been closed to traffic, but pedestrians are still able to use Lower Goat Lane, with other businesses open as usual.