Fire at Norwich Airport was 'nothing to worry about'
- Credit: Submitted
A billowing fire that was caught on video at Norwich International Airport was a training exercise, a spokesperson has confirmed.
The fire, which happened during the afternoon of Thursday, May 20 was videoed by a passerby who was traveling on Holt Road, which runs alongside the airport.
The video shows fire and smoke billowing from one of the airport runways.
Norwich International Airport has confirmed that the fire was part of an exercise from the onsite fire service
A spokesperson from the airport said: "This happens quite regularly and is just a standard fire practice. Many airports do this very regularly.
You may also want to watch:
"It's nothing for passersby to worry about."
Paul Lond, who had stopped on the NDR after his window wipers stopped working, said he was "shocked" when he saw the smoke.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 7 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 8 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 9 Man defrauded more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm to fund gambling addiction
- 10 Glamping site approval despite highway safety concerns
He added: "It crossed my mind that it could have been a training exercise as I visited RAF Coltishall when I was younger and know they have a fire service on stand-by for take off.
"I was shocked when I saw the flames and thought you can never be sure with these things."
The airport has its own fire service on-site in case of an emergency situation on the runway or in the hanger.
In the past, the team has practiced scenarios on a lifesize plane that has been set on fire.