Final respects to Norfolk’s King of Sport Les King can be paid at funeral
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Family, friends and loved ones will be able to pay their respects to Norfolk's King of Sport when his funeral is held at the start of next month.
Tributes have poured in for Les King, who died aged 81 on Sunday and who was known and loved across the county for his love of sport and keen fundraising.
His funeral service will be held at Wymondham Abbey at 2.30pm on Friday, March 4.
A champion of local causes in his home town of Wymondham, Mr King, who was once voted the town's biggest personality since Robert Kett, was involved with countless charities and community groups.
His many roles included life president of Wymondham Town and Wroxham FC, life patron of Norwich Lads Club, where he boxed, aged 17, and chairman of Norwich and District ex-boxers' association.
He was also chairman of the Friends of Chapel Road School for children with complex needs.
For others, he was best known for running the Regal cinema in Wymondham for many years.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 3 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 4 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 5 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 6 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 7 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 8 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
- 9 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
- 10 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
On Sunday, Andy Gardiner, chairman of Wymondham Town FC, said: 'He was a terrific friend of mine. He was a true Wymondham character. I loved him to bits. It's a truly sad day.'
Ahead of the funeral, Mr King's family have said flowers are welcome, while donations can be made by writing a cheque payable to Star Throwers and sending it to Ivan Fisher Independent Funeral Home, Norton House, 17 Park Drive, Hethersett, Norwich, NR9 3EN.
• Would you like to pay tribute to Mr King? Email firstname.lastname@example.org