Festive lights, family fun, fireworks and Father Christmas attract thousands to Gorleston
- Credit: Archant
Family fun, fireworks and Father Christmas attracted record numbers of people to a coastal town.
Billed as 'the big switch on and the big bang,' Gorleston High Street was illuminated last night (Sunday) - with an estimated 7,500 people turning out over the course of the day.
Organised by the Gorleston Traders Association, there was more than six hours of events and entertainment, which attracted 'phenomenal' crowds.
And this year's annual switch-on of the lights in the High Street, which was conducted by Gorleston-based Paralympian Jessica-Jane Applegate and the mayor of Great Yarmouth, Malcolm Bird, was hailed as the 'most successful one ever.'
After the Christmas lights had been switched on, the crowds enjoyed a 'brilliant' fireworks display – with music, entertainment, attractions, stalls, street characters, rides, a climbing wall, ice skating rink, and Father Christmas all proving popular throughout the day.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin Huggins, chairman of the Gorleston Traders Association, said: 'This was the most successful switch-on event on Gorleston High Street ever. The crowds were phenomenal, with about 7,500 people attending over the course of the day.
'The fireworks were brilliant, the ice skating rink took the most money ever, the rides we provided were the most successful ever - it was phenomenal. Everyone was in great Christmas spirits and it kickstarted the festive season in Gorleston High Street with a bang.
- 1 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 2 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 3 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 4 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 5 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 6 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 7 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 8 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 9 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 10 A47 tailbacks as roadworks move west near Norwich
'On behalf of the Gorleston Traders Association I want to say a huge thanks to all the volunteers and the committee – without them it would not happen. This year's switch-on in Gorleston High Street was a fantastic success.'