Felmingham Stores set to re-open following chip pan fire

PUBLISHED: 10:48 24 September 2012 | UPDATED: 10:57 24 September 2012

Felmingham Stores. PHOTO: ANTONY KELLY

Felmingham Stores. PHOTO: ANTONY KELLY


A village shop is set to re-open this week after a fire broke out there earlier this month "badly" damaging the owners business and home.

Damian Coughtrey and his wife Carol have been running Felmingham Stores, on North Walsham Road, for just over a year and said they were “devastated” when a chip pan caught on fire.

Mr Coughtrey said: “It badly damaged the house and the shop but we would like to thank the people in the village who helped us clean, paint, decorate and brought us food.

“We are grateful to the villagers who have been really helpful.”

Mr Coughtrey also paid thanks to Felmingham resident Shane Toll, who rang for a fire crew and also attempted to rescue a dog from the building.

“Shane attempted to rescue one of the dogs but we had to get the fire crew out to get to the dog as the building was too full of smoke,” Mr Coughtry explained.

“But he helped us by ringing for the firefighters - he was the first on scene.”

No one was injured during the fire which happened on Friday, September 7, and both dogs are also doing well.

The shop re-opens on Friday at 6.15am.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press