Father will be in family’s thoughts at Sandringham charity walk
- Credit: Archant
The young children of a father who died suddenly last year will be joining other bereaved families at a memorial walk in Sandringham.
Oscar Whales, five, and his sister Nancy, three, of Ashwicken near King's Lynn will join their mother Nicola at 'Smiles at Sandringham', organised by the child bereavement charity Nelson's Journey.
After the family lost their father Mark at the age of 46 in April 2015, they were referred to the charity and received support at The Norfolk Hospice Tapping House, at home and at their school and nursery.
Mrs Whales, who is 38 and a hospital ward manager, said: 'Dealing with our grief is extremely difficult, so we got in touch with Nelson's Journey.
'We wanted to do something positive to commemorate Mark's life and encourage others to come and walk in memory of someone special.'
You may also want to watch:
This is the first time the charity, based in Norwich, has organised a memorial walk in west Norfolk and Sandringham Country Park has allowed the event, between 10am and 2pm on June 11, to be held on site without charge.
The Whales family has already raised more than £565, which is enough to send two children on one of the charity's therapeutic residential weekends at Hilltop Outdoor Centre, near Sheringham.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 4 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 5 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 6 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 9 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 10 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
To register for the event visit www.nelsonsjourney.org.uk/memorial-walk-registration.aspx
Do you have a story about participating in a memorial walk for someone special? Email email@example.com