Fashion fans invited to take part in charity shop catwalk challenge in Norwich
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
People are being invited to take part in a charity shop catwalk challenge for this year's Norwich Fashion Week.
A new addition for NFW16, the Norwich Fashion Jam will see a mountain of stock donated by Age UK Norwich transformed into creative collections for a special show at Norwich Castle on March 14.
The whole event kicks off at 6pm on Friday, March 11 at the Forum and will also form part of Norwich City Council's One Planet Norwich Sustainable Living Festival.
Local designers, students, stylists, bloggers and other fashion enthusiasts wanting to take part will be able to choose their materials from the donated stock.
They will then have about 24 hours with their sewing machines, needles and threads to create their looks.
The aim is to raise funds for Age UK Norwich and also raise awareness of the huge amount of clothing that gets dumped in landfill each year.
Susan Ringwood, chief executive of Age UK Norwich, said: 'We are delighted to be part of the Fashion Jam event.
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 7 Man who survived motorcycle crash died from Covid, inquest told
- 8 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 9 Seven of the oldest Norfolk businesses
- 10 These are the dog breeds given up most at a Norfolk rehoming centre
'The Age UK shop is a treasure trove of items ready and waiting for anyone with a creative flair to turn them into fashion gems.
'We are really looking forward to seeing what the stylists come up with - and getting some top tips for ourselves too.
'The money we raise will all go to help older people in Norwich make their later life the best it can be.'
The Fashion Jam challenge will start at 6pm on Friday, March 11, at the Forum and will run until 6.30pm on Saturday, March 12.
The Fashion Show will then take place at Norwich Castle from 7pm until 9pm on Monday, March 14.
Norwich Fashion Jam entrants will be asked to donate £5 per person or £10 per team to Age UK Norwich, and any profits made from ticket sales for the show at Norwich Castle will also go to the charity.
For more information about the Norwich Fashion Jam and how to take part, visit www.norwichfashionjam.co.uk or follow @NorwichFashJam on Twitter
Do you have a Norwich arts story?
Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at firstname.lastname@example.org