Fantastic pictures show Great Yarmouth over the years
Take a trip down memory lane with our fabulous photographic celebration of East Anglian life through the decades. Today we take a nostalgic look back at Great Yarmouth, a historic coastal town situated at the mouth of the River Yare.
Great Yarmouth has been a seaside resort since the 1700s, but it wasn't just the holidaymakers drawn to the sea who brought prosperity to the town, the sea itself also brought wealth and industry to the east coast.
It was a major fishing port for many years, and the once thriving herring industry in particular, brought jobs and a sense of community to the town.
The River Yare was, and remains today, a bustling port, rich in maritime heritage, with boats coming and going from across the globe alongside the local fishing craft.
Copies of the images featured in this story are available to buy via our photo sales website or alternatively can be ordered by phone on 01603 772449
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 4 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 7 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 9 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer