Fans fill Open to support England team
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
England football fans headed to the Open venue, in Norwich, to watch the Slovakia match on the big screen.
More than 100 people were on the edge of their seats last night, cheering England on and waving flags as England were held to a 0-0 draw and had to settle for being group runners-up, behind Wales,
England fan Bob Crook, 47, from Thorpe End said: 'We have been playing OK compared with performances in different years. Watching it in Open is brilliant; at the pub we couldn't really see the screen.'
Jack Simmonds, 25, from north Norwich, added: 'We are playing pretty average. I hope we get to the semi-finals, but it's a young team so if we don't win this year we could in the future.'
Becky Smith, 25, and her friend Katie Armitage, 25, both from Norwich, said that they loved the atmosphere in the city – especially this venue. Ms Smith said: 'It's really good and very civilised. Two girls in the pub would be very different but here everyone talks and comes together.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Armitage added: 'England definitely deserved to win the match.'
Dave Foulkes, 49, from Eaton, said: 'I think we will get to the semi-finals – it would be really great if we got to the final as my 50th birthday is the day before the final and it will have been 50 years since we won [the World Cup].'
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 4 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 5 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 6 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 7 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 8 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 9 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 10 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages