Family takes refuge with neighbour from ‘50ft flames’ as blaze destroys garage at Beetley
- Credit: Archant
A resident has praised the efforts of fire crews from Dereham and Fakenham after they tackled a garage fire in Beetley yesterday evening.
The crews attended the scene at around 7.35pm on Stone Road in Beetley and used hoses and hand appliances to extinguish the blaze.
Katy Smith who lives in the house next door to the garages described the flames as appearing to be almost 50ft high. She said: 'I heard several small explosions and went upstairs to look out of the window. I could see smoke pouring out of the garage so I put in a call to the fire brigade.
'Then another neighbour came and knocked and said they thought we should get out of the house because the garage roof had collapsed and the flames were really taking hold.'
'We went up the road to another neighbour and waited there for the fire brigade, who arrived really quickly and managed to get it under control within 10 minutes, then spent about an hour damping everything down and knocking down one of the external garage walls which had become unstable. They were all brilliant and before they left they reassured my kids who were a bit scared of going back in our house.'
You may also want to watch:
She added: 'I'm also really grateful to one of our neighbours, Kathy Perry, who took me and my two children in, along with the people next door and even our dogs. She gave us somewhere safe to go and helped me calm my children down.'
There were no reported injuries in the fire and the cause is not yet known.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 10 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue