Family’s grief after home destroyed in blaze in Garvestone

The house suffered damage following a bedroom fire. Photo: Ian Burt

The house suffered damage following a bedroom fire. Photo: Ian Burt - Credit: Archant

A family from Garvestone whose home was destroyed in a house fire have revealed their grief after watching it go up in flames.

Andrew Jackson was inside the property when the fire broke out, with his daughter and grandson. Phot

Andrew Jackson was inside the property when the fire broke out, with his daughter and grandson. Photo: Ian Burt - Credit: Archant

Andrew Jackson, a care worker from Garvestone, was in the house with his daughter and grandson when the fire started.

Mr Jackson said: 'The fire started in a bedroom, when my daughter and grandson were in the house with me.

'We all got out, and it swept through the whole house.

'I first noticed it when my daughter shouted - screamed really - and I ran up and got my grandson out of bed.

The address in Garvestone is home to the Jackson family. Photo: Ian Burt

The address in Garvestone is home to the Jackson family. Photo: Ian Burt - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


'The fire was down the side of her bed.

'We just stood outside and watched it burn.'

Most Read

Three fire engines were called to the blaze, on the evening of Wednesday, September 13, after Mr Jackson raised the alarm at around 7.30pm.

He said: 'There were three fire engines here, within about 20 to 25 minutes.

Garvestone village is situated between Dereham and Wymondham. Photo: Ian Burt

Garvestone village is situated between Dereham and Wymondham. Photo: Ian Burt - Credit: Archant

'They finished putting the fire out and left at about half nine.'

Crews from Hingham, Dereham and Wymondham attended the blaze, at the address on the Dereham Road.

In an emotional post on social media, Mr Jackson praised the fire service, and thanked 'all our neighbours who helped us out tonight'.

He added: '[we are] really grateful, and to the fire brigade who did a great job'.

Garvestone, Norfolk. Photo: Ian Burt

Garvestone, Norfolk. Photo: Ian Burt - Credit: Archant

Mr Jackson said: 'There are six houses here, and all our neighbours came out to help, they were all very,very good to us.'

On Facebook he described the incident, saying: 'What a terrible night.

'The house caught fire, lots of damage. Cannot get back into home for weeks or months.'

The fire service were on the scene in the Norfolk village, which is located between Dereham and Wymondham, until 9.33pm, which is when the fire service confirmed the blaze was extinguished.

No-one is believed to have been injured.

Mr Jackson lives in the house with his wife Jane, who is a secretary at Garvestone Primary School. Their daughter Heidi Jackson, 21, who is a media studies student at UEA and writes a column for the Dereham Times, also lives at the address. They have another daughter, Abigail Jackson, who has a baby son, Freddie-Jay.

Read more: Fire crews called to house fire in Garvestone

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus