Family rehoused after fire hits Gorleston terrace

A mother and her two children had to be rehoused last night after fire swept through the upstairs of their home in Nuffield Close, Gorleston.

Neighbours in the terrace block, who had to be evacuated during the blaze, today praised firefighters for their quick work in stopping the spread of the wind-fanned flames through the roof space.

Five fire engines from as far afield as Acle were called to the blaze on the Magdalen estate at about 4.15pm yesterday.

An aerial platform was used to fight the fire at roof level.

Two front bedrooms of the council-owned house suffered severe fire damage and the rest of the property had smoke and water damage.

John Griffiths, the borough council's senior maintenance surveyor, today confirmed the family had been rehomed as he inspected the extent of the damage.

The roof spaces and property stored in the lofts were damaged by fire in two neighbouring homes.

Most Read

Richard George, 62, who lives three doors along, said: 'I heard the beeping of their smoke alarm and when I went outside I could see flames shooting out the bedroom window.

'My wife and I were asked to vacate our home but we did not suffer any fire damage. Firefighters lifted some of the roof tiles to stop the flames spreading along the terrace; you could see the smoke creeping along under the roof.'

Mr George, a storeman for a local offshore company, praised the quick action of firefighters in preventing further damage; the blaze was extinguished by 6.20pm.

A fire service spokesman said their fire investigation was continuing but any suspicious circumstances had been ruled out.