Family overwhelmed by generous strangers after Downham Market fire.
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A family are overwhelmed by the generosity of complete strangers who have helped them get back on their feet after a fire completely destroyed their home.
Just days ago they were left with only the clothes on their backs, when fire tore through their home, destroying their belongings.
But members of a family of eight have been helped back on their feet after complete strangers rallied round to assist them.
Lisa Smith and her partner John Callaby have now spoken out to express their immense gratitude for the response they and the six children have received from the community.
Since the blaze, on Tuesday, they have been overwhelmed by donations from the public, with strangers providing items such as clothes, toys, household products and kitchen equipment.
You may also want to watch:
'I can't thank people enough for everything they have done to help us,' said Ms Smith. 'When our home burned down, John and I both thought that we'd have to start again completely from scratch.
'But just a couple of days after it happened, my children have clothes to wear and shoes on their feet. Someone has even brought a fridge freezer over, that's how kind people have been to us.'
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 5 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 6 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 7 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 8 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 9 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 10 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
The couple and the six children lost all their belongings in a loft fire which spread quickly across three homes in Elizabeth Avenue, Downham Market.
The family have been temporarily rehoused in the nearby village of Nordelph and have received donated furniture including beds for children Billy-Joe, 10; Tyler, eight; Curtis, seven; Tilly-Louise, four; Danny, two; and three-month-old Jimmy-Dean.
Jenna Carter, a friend, posted a request to a Facebook group advertising items for sale in Thetford, asking if anyone could help the family who had lost their home in the fire.
'They literally only had the clothes on their backs,' she said. 'I'm also a mother and I had to do something to help. So far, the response has been amazing.'
Mr Callaby was soothing their new-born son at around 3am on Tuesday when he could smell smoke and came across the fire in the landing.
'We all keep telling Jimmy-Dean that he's our little hero,' Ms Smith said. 'He doesn't understand yet but if it wasn't for him being awake in the middle of the night, I dread to think what the outcome could have been.'
Tony Hall, chief executive of Freebridge Community Housing, said: 'We are currently making the building safe, whilst working with the relevant authorities to ensure that building work to restore the homes takes place as soon as possible.'
A fundraising page has been launched on 'Go Fund Me'. Visit www.gofundme.com/lezryo for more information.
Do you have a story about a fire rescue? Email firstname.lastname@example.org